Friday, March 04, 2005

Swing and a Miss...

Got a letter from Wheaton today. It went a little something like this...

Dear Gerald:

Thank you for comming to campus and meeting with us... [ etc. ect.] ...while you demonstrated to us some impressive academic strengths, we finally decided that you do not fit the profile of the particular student we are seeking for the Ph.D. program at Wheaton... we have decided to deactivate your application.


Dang. Down to the final two and then deactivated. That sounds so... terminal. Well back to the drawing board. I just hope I'm not running out of ink...

6 comments:

Jake said...

Sorry man. Sorry. Peace.

Jason said...

Gerald:
Ouch, that's rough. I'm in the application process, too, and I've gotten my share of similar letters: it's never easy.
JF

CrnbrdEater said...

I think, perhaps, your "deactivation" is entirely due to the intimidation felt by those to come in full contact with your towering intellect.

I do not blame them. I, myself, have often been brought to my knees by your feats of unbridled reason.

Like Moses on Sinai, mere mortals must be shielded from that which they cannot fully partake. I ask only that my eyes be shielded so I might receive, in some small portion, your wisdom.

------

Don't fret. I am positive the best is yet to come for your life. The sovereignty of God has yet to be outdone by the schemes of his pottery.

~crnbrd

Steve B. said...

Gerald, I'm sorry, and very disappointed, to hear this. I was excited about your project. I hope that your next step becomes clear to you quickly and I look forward to hearing what it is.

Gerald said...

Thanks jake, jason, crnbrdeater, and steve for the condolances. And thanks to everyone else for all the sympathy, flowers, and cards. You can stop bringing over the meals now.

David Nebraska said...

THAT SUCKS!!! THEY DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY'RE MISSING. SORRY TO HEAR THAT GERALD. GOD'S GOT SOMETHING BETTER.