Wednesday, January 04, 2006

New Year--New Iustificare

In the spirit of the New Year (and for the sake of my brother), I have decided to take iustificare in a slightly new direction. From here on out, I’m going to attempt to be less overtly academic (since only two or three of you actually read my academic posts anyway) and will make every effort to limit my posts to only one or two short paragraphs.

“Impossible!” you say? You may well be correct. Let us see.


Additional note: As the chief editor of iustificare I reserve the right to make exceptions to the above rule when the unique occasion demands.

3 comments:

Todd Hiestand said...

whew, now your small minded brother can read your blog without cramping up his brain!

The Cubicle Reverend said...

Dude, say it ain't so, say it ain't so. Granted I understood like 10% of what you wrote, I still enjoy reading it in order to make myself feel smart.

the forester said...

Hmm. I have a mixed response. On the one hand, it's true that I don't have time to dig through your academic posts, and I've wondered what people who click on the link from my blog will think about them. On the other hand, the beauty of blogging is that you get to publish whatever you want to write about, rather than what an audience wants to read. Who cares if readership is low? Write what interests you, and the right audience will be attracted. And even if there's no audience, that doesn't mean the process of writing was a waste. Capturing truth in language glorifies God.

By the way, the very dedicated responses to your language/gender posts and the ensuing dialogue were a rather amazing phenomenon among blogs, which rarely garner substantive comments, much less actual dialogue. Your readership may have been only 2 or 3 dedicated and passionate individuals, but to be honest, that's bigger than the readership of many blogs out there -- and it counted for something.

How about a mix? Write some in academic mode, some in layperson mode. This may draw in some non-academic readers who might later decide to try giving one of your academic posts a read.

Just be sure to follow your passion and exercise your gifts. From what I can tell, you've been doing that up to now. I'd hate to see you abandon a noble dream.