Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Coming Soon: Raising Purity

I signed my first book contract today. The work is titled Raising Purity: Fashioning the Image of God in the Heart of Your Child. It was picked up by Ryver Media, a small media group. The book highlights the typological relationship between sexuality and the gospel, with a specific application toward the subject of sexual purity. My aim is to help parents think through the discipleship they bring to their children in this area. It's more theological than your average book on sexual purity, but I think we managed to keep it readable, and even light at times.

It was written largely during my tenure as a youth pastor in Fremont, NE, and was primarily intended for the families in my local church. I had largely laid it aside, until Bill Edmondson of Ryver Media took an interest in it. Bill and his team have done a great job with the design and production of the book. While it's not likely to make the New York times best seller's list, it's still nice to have a royalty contract, and to see my book in print. Below is the content of the back cover.
Sexual Purity—we desire it for our children, but we’re not really sure what it looks like. How far is too far, anyway? The time has come for a clear, biblical, and measurable standard of sexual purity. In Raising Purity, Gerald Hiestand sets forth this standard, and challenges parents to rethink human sexuality in light of the image and glory of God. Touching on a wide range of subjects, Raising Purity is sure to help parents navigate their way through the muddied waters of today’s sex-saturated culture.

“I’m delighted my friend Gerald wrote this book. After reading Raising Purity, you’ll be equipped and motivated to lead your children into the joy of a clean and holy life. And it may just help you as well!”
Joe Stowell, Teaching Pastor, Harvest Bible Chapel in Rolling Meadows, Illinois

“Hiestand’s book is unique, biblical, and paradigm shifting. It’s the most important book I’ve read on this subject—a must read for parents.”
David Cleland, Sr. High Pastor, Arlington Heights Evangelical Free Church in Arlington Heights, Illinois

“As a youth pastor who has been extremely discouraged with many books on this subject, I found Raising Purity to be uniquely insightful. Parents and pastors alike will find Hiestand’s biblical, gospel-centered approach to be a breath of fresh air.”
Jonathan Cummings, Sr. High Pastor,College Church in Wheaton, Illinois

“This is the best book I’ve read on the subject of sexual purity. I strongly recommend it to parents and pastors.”
James Nolan, Director of Student Ministries, Fremont Evangelical Free Church in Fremont, Nebraska

“Raising Purity is a unique book with a unique focus. I wish all parents were equipped with such a deep-level understanding of sexual purity!”
Jason Barbieri, Pastor of Student Ministries, Rancho Baptist Church in California

“There is much godly wisdom in this book. I heartily recommend it.”
David W. Jones, Academic Dean, Harvest School of Ministry in Elgin, Illinois

Gerald Hiestand lives with his wife and their two sons in the Chicago area, where he serves as a pastor at Harvest Bible Chapel in Rolling Meadows, Illinois. He is a graduate of Moody Bible Institute and Trinity Evangelical Divinity School.
The manuscript is going to the printers this week, and I'm told there is a five week turn around time. It'll be available in some Christian bookstores in the Chicago area, but then mostly through Amazon and CBD.

UPDATE: The book is now available here.

4 comments:

Scottie P said...

Good to see that you are finally getting it published.

Mateo said...

Congratulations!

Bradley said...

Sweeeet! The comments got me curious. I wonder what sort of "paradigm" shift is in view. Hmm.... I guess I'll just have to read it to find out!

Gerald said...

The teaser comments strike home!