Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Review of My WTJ Article

Eric Redmond has a nice review of my recent Westminster Theological Journal article. In the article, I argue that the eighteenth-century transition in North America from pastor-scholar to professor-scholar has resulted in the loss of a distinctly ecclesial voice in North American evangelical theology. There is, I contend, a need to return theological reflection and articulation back to the domain of the local church. Not every scholar needs to be a pastor, nor does every pastor need to be a scholar. But many are gifted and called to both pursuits, and we do the church a disservice when we separate the two.

Those of you interested in combining theology and pastoral ministry may find the article interesting.

2 comments:

Matt said...

Don't want to derail this conversation at all but I wanted to ask something completely irrelevant to this post. I know it's been a long time! I hope all has been well...

But...I was thinking about purchasing your thesis and couldn't find the link.

Hope to re-connect some time soon.

Gerald said...

Matt,

Sent you an e-mail. If you don't get it, let me know.

Gerald